Jan 31, 2023

Paul Muschick Might Become A Columnist


Since Muschick is already the Morning Call's columnist, this post's title alone probably offends him...Offending people is never an issue for me. I do fancy myself a Lone Ranger in blogging. The Morning Call hasn't had a columnist since Paul Carpenter retired.... Bill White squandered his bully pulpit with Christmas Light Tours and chocolate cake contests. He's still judging chocolate cakes.  

The reason I see hope in Muschick is that his recent column takes Ray O'Connell to task for considering running for reelection, after he pledged not to. I don't have an opinion on that topic at this point, but appreciate that Muschick does, and that he expressed it. Muschick's new boldness goes somewhat awry criticizing the voters for reelecting an indicted mayor Pawlowski. A search of the paper's archives shows no one at the paper writing against Pawlowski, including Muschick, at the time. Furthermore, the paper gave the indicted Pawlowski space for column after column during the election. 

For a current columnist at the Morning Call the bar is very low. If I were Muschick, especially with the deteriorating corporate profile for the paper, I would be going all out against the local establishment.

above reprinted from February 4, 2020
 
ADDENDUM JANUARY 31, 2023: For a bastard like me, over the last several years I have been very complimentary toward Paul Muschick.  However, Muschick never has gone after the local establishment hard, and never against the paper, as Paul Carpenter occasionally did. I bumped into Muschick last spring, when he and cohorts were protesting Alden Holdings purchasing Tribune Papers....They're apparently willing to speak out for their salaries.  I was bitching about the Wehr's Dam article, which omitted my mention, even through it was me who advocated for the article, and provided most of the background questions. Muschick gave the stock answer that no one tells them what to write. Of course the real issue is that they know the whats and whos they dare not write about... I'm one of them.

Years ago, when I was out and about more, people would tell me how much they liked Bill White's theme columns. Likewise,  I'm sure Paul Muschick has a current fan base.  When I ran the post in 2020, I got a note from Bernie O'Hare that said, "You save dams and burn bridges." 

9 comments:

  1. He's a Lap Dog not a Watch dog

    ReplyDelete
  2. anon@6:49: I'm encouraged by his recent posts on Pa. state government. Hopefully, he'll start taking our local representatives to task, by name.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right on about Paul Muschick. He avoids getting out of his “lane” at the highly partisan, decidedly liberal and woke, Morning Call. But, I suppose that’s what the not-so-local Call and its overlords are paying for.

    Censorship at the Call, and a few bigger Lehigh Valley Blogs I visit, is heavy. The ‘slant’ is too great for the common good now, as readers mostly get propaganda not to be trusted. There WAS a time when people actually believed “It must be true, I read it in the paper.” No more.

    These days, what we DON’T read in our daily information intake can be quite damaging, too. The whole situation is sad as our nation has now been overthrown by both dis-information and no-information.

    Muschick, White, and even O’Hare are not what they seem. There’s a certain strategy and phoniness behind them. I couldn’t do it, that’s for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also had hopes that Muschick would become a real columnist, but he's gotten worse, not better.

    His takes on PA government are highly partisan and he doesn't even attempt to portray both sides of an issue. He's an open advocate for disarming the law-abiding at the same time police departments are being handcuffed by politicians.

    He missed the biggest stories in Allentown when he actually worked in the city, and now all we get are articles from wherever he lives in the suburbs supporting the same policies that have failed our cities nationwide.

    He's become a hack, so I suppose he's working for the right paper.

    ReplyDelete
  5. America has been dealing with TWO (2) recent pandemics.

    COVID
    LYING with impunity

    It’s the commonplace lying that bothers me most. Almost everyone does it now. Our politicians, our government agencies, the so-called news organizations, financial money changers, entertainment figures, and sports personalities.



    ReplyDelete
  6. What ever happened to reporting FULLY both sides of the story with zero bias and allowing the reader to make his or her own decisions based on ALL the facts??? We're doomed by the present reporting on TV, the internet, magazines and the newspapers. We can all appreciate everyone's personal opinions since this is still America, but give us a break with the obvious bullshit!!! We're not kindergartners needing to be spoon fed!!! Enough already... straighten up and fly right!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. From what I read of his work, I'd say your headline doesn't go far enough.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I once asked Paul Muschick, "If you are thw watchdog, who the hell is watching you:.. he then hung up....lol.. yellow journalism never wins.... ask the Morning KKall... smh

    ReplyDelete
  9. He shows people that moderate republicans still exist. I enjoy reading his articles for that reason.

    ReplyDelete

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS SELECTIVELY PUBLISHED. SIGNED COMMENTS GIVEN MORE LEEWAY.