Sep 30, 2020

A Different Kind Of Candidate


Fellow blogger Bernie O'Hare recently did a post on my candidacy.  He attended the debate in 2014 when I took on long term incumbent Julie Harhart and the Democratic candidate.  Even the Morning Call at the time had to concede that Molovinsky had little trouble standing out in a three-way candidate debate....

On O'Hare's post an anonymous commenter, while acknowledging my expertise on South Whitehall issues,  questions my sincerity in running for State Representative, as a recently announced write-in. 

Over the decades I have become very familiar with the interplay between local municipalities and those the voters sent to Harrisburg to represent them.  The system is designed to get all incumbents re-elected, that is their primary objective. They can present themselves as white knights, with more money for their local school system, or a grant for a new playground.  More often than not our representatives are either fresh out of college,  or hand picked by a long term incumbent,  who is finally retiring. 

As an independent, my votes in Harrisburg would be based on the best outcome for taxpayers,  not a party platform.  Although I would not serve more than two terms,  in that period I will change the expectations for local representation. 

I do promise to be unpopular with my fellow elected officials. I think that there are far too many of them, getting too many benefits.  Such public service should be a dedicated mission, not just a career path.

2 comments:

  1. If a candidate want so be successful as write a write-in candidate, he will need to take specific stands on important issues, he will need to stand out as someone who is willing to be controversial.

    An incumbent can try to be vanilla and not alienate anyone. To win as an independent you will need to rock all the boats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If enough voters in the 183rd are tired of the same old stale representation, and are willing to take the extra effort of writing me in, I will be honored to work for them for up to two terms. While I suppose that working for s smaller state house might be considered controversial, and non-partisan best outcome voting would be something new and unique, I will be doing no intentional "boat rocking" just to get elected.

      Delete

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS SELECTIVELY PUBLISHED. SIGNED COMMENTS GIVEN MORE LEEWAY.