Sep 26, 2018

A Difficult Promise To Keep

The liberals in Allentown are excited about a new organization in town,  The Promise Neighborhood.  My readers may recall that I broke the news that councilwoman Cynthia Mota works for them,  after she nominated their director for interim mayor, without disclosing her employment.

Normally, I prefer not to express my cynicism about such things, but the Promise Neighborhood is gearing up with a state grant that I involuntarily contributed to.  The new program aims to reduce gun violence by counseling victims not to retaliate.  The strategy hails from Chicago,  and we all know how successful that community has been in reducing shootings.

The plan will be formally introduced to the public on October 19th, and seek feedback from the community.  Hope they appreciate my early commentary.  Although I'm skeptical about their methodology,  certainly the goal is most worthwhile.  I personally would prefer my taxes to be spent on the public school system,  rather than grants to multiple agencies and their separate staffs.

8 comments:

  1. It's my experience that government and government funded agencies are little more than employment agencies for the well connected when it comes to social improvement. Those employed find their situation improving but besides that nothing else ever seems to change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our cleaning lady, who only has one daughter, told me she helped out 2 evenings per week at the Boys Club.
    For many weeks I admired her for this extra effort. Then one day I asked her something about the Boys Club and she said she no longer helps out there. They lost funding and couldn't pay her anymore.
    My admiration for her helping out there kind of diminished. I guess I should have been admiring myself for my involuntary contribution to help the Boys Club.
    Seems like lots of these do gooders are "doing good" on someone else's nickel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's just a racket. An employment agency for the well connected sounds about right. Just don't wander off the reservation.

    ROLF OELER

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't understand at all what this group is supposed to do and what the money will be used for. It appears to be a waste of time and money that could be better put to use by hiring more police officers to arrest violent criminals.

    Or it's just another welfare program to shovel tax money to those who don't work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd like to know what metrics are used to judge the effectiveness of the Promise Neighborhood?

    In NewSpeak taxes = investments.

    From the article: the Cure Violence method — used by about 25 cities, including New York City and Chicago

    How's that workin' for Chicago?

    ReplyDelete
  6. March 5th, 2018 Fox News: Chicago-area officials trying to prevent funerals for gang members from turning into shootouts say the issue has gotten so far “out of control” that one cemetery has started hiring off-duty police officers.

    My wife used to be a social worker. What many of these programs are employment programs for minorities. Very similar to the TSA - not much security, just an employment program. In my town, the Heating Assistance Program was 'cleaned out' by the director and his son. Watch for it.

    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/03/05/shootings-at-chicago-gang-members-funerals-getting-out-control-police-say.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. If people can't succeed in this economy then there is no hope for them.

    ReplyDelete

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS SELECTIVELY PUBLISHED. SIGNED COMMENTS GIVEN MORE LEEWAY.