May 28, 2024

Renaming Allentown

As an advocate for the Allentown park system, especially the WPA structures, I often write about Joseph Daddona Park, which I refer to as Union Terrace, its former original and long term name. Likewise, I refer to Andre Reed Park as Irving. Even Martin Luther King Drive is still Lawrence Street to me. 

As a local historian, these name changes reflect fads and wokeness. What brings me back to this topic is the recent decision by the Allentown School Board to rename a couple of our schools. 

So there are two sixty year olds talking. 

 I remember you in third grade at Ruby Bridges School. 

Bridges School, where the hell is that?

That's what they call Lincoln now.

Who's Bridges?

I have no idea

photo of future blogger at Mayday 1952, Lehigh Parkway School, at least still for now

No comments:

Post a Comment

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS SELECTIVELY PUBLISHED. SIGNED COMMENTS GIVEN MORE LEEWAY.