Oct 23, 2023

Markets Of Allentown's Past


When I was growing up my parents lived on two ends of Allentown, first the south side and then the west end.  I was fortunate to have experienced two great independent markets of Allentown's past.

The Lehigh Super Market had a great section of small inexpensive toys for a small boy.  An easy walk from Little Lehigh Manor,  I could keep my Hopalong Casidy six shooter in caps, and replace my lost water pistol each summer.  The ice cream fountain featured hand dipped Breyers.  While the kids took a cone, the parents would have a quart or gallon scooped and weighed to take home.

Before  Food Fair was built farther west on Lehigh Street,  my mother would do all her shopping, except for meat,  at Lehigh Market.  Although I didn't pay too much attention, I do remember the cookie selection.

In the late 1950's my parents moved to the west end, and my times at Deiley's West Gate Market began.  Although too old to notice the toy selection,  the soda fountain became a hangout.

In addition to numerous corner markets, every section of Allentown had a popular larger independent, like Lehigh or Deiley's.   A few like Hersh's Market, have survived to this day.

photo of Deiley's Market in 1938

reprinted from April of 2020

6 comments:

  1. My parents used to stop by Deily's or Zimmermans on North 7th street frequently for small grocery needs. I remember when the 7-11 opened up a few doors away from Deily's on College Heights Blvd also. Deily was none too pleased about that competition. They tore down his market after he retired around 1970 or so. Now its some insurance offices I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A trivia note is that it was called "Deily's West Gate Market" in 1938 was because the part of the city it was in was called "West Gate" which was largely undeveloped back then. Deily originally had a grocery store around 6th and Linden, but he closed that and moved to far west Allentown in the early 1930s to that building, which was formerly the Centronia Township School.

    "West Gate" was in reference to the old West Gate of Allentown, which was on Liberty Street near 25th. The West Gate was two stone columns on each side of Liberty. Later, they were moved to the Union Terrace amphitheater, where they still stand today on each end of the elevated stage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anom 10:25am.....Thank You for that "walk-back" in Allentown History.....Parts of it I remember, and you filled in the "gaps".....Lehigh Super Market, and Zimmermans were wholesale accounts of mine.....PJF

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lived on the east side thr Tropical Market is where mom shopped for years

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you have any pictures and/or info on KIPP MEATS? My Great Grandfather owned the Business. There was one on 22nd & Liberty in Allentown where Altered Image Hair Studio is now. The other location was on 191 in Bethlehem

    ReplyDelete
  6. Zimmermann’s and Eline’s kept my football card and matchbox fix satisfied.

    ReplyDelete

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS SELECTIVELY PUBLISHED. SIGNED COMMENTS GIVEN MORE LEEWAY.