Apr 12, 2022

WPA Labor Bears Fruit


I can't exactly tell you how long I have been advocating for Allentown's WPA structures, probably at least a decade. I can't tell you how many blog posts I've written, many dozen, or letters to the editor, dozens also. I have conducted meetings at the library, given tours of the structures, and excavated structures buried in the 1980's. I have lobbied several city councils and am currently tormenting a third park director. I'm now pleased to announce that for the first time in many years, some work is occurring on these irreplaceable icons of our park system. The stone steps have been reset and re-pointed in Irving Park. Currently, the missing steps at Fountain Park are being replaced, and by next week, I believe that the Union Terrace staircase wall will be repaired. I'm not known for praising, but next week I will try to properly thank the people authorizing these repairs.

photo is reprinted from The Morning Call, May of 2009

above post from October 13, 2015

ADDENDUM APRIL,12,2022:The Morning Call recently reported that the skateboarders are complaining about their new skatepark at Jordan Park, because there's currently no lighting for night skateboarding. At Union Terrace, the stream is eating away at the stone pillar on the north end of the amphitheater stage built by the WPA in 1939.
AnonymousApril 8, 2022 at 2:27 PM              Sorry I'm late on posting this, but they need to send the masons back to Union Terrace. The large main stairwell has stones falling out, and it is getting vandalized on a routine basis, as evidenced by broken beer bottles and pieces of slate thrown down from the steps towards the creek. In addition, the smaller steps across the amphitheater are increasingly being removed; the left side of the stage area has a gaping hole in it; and the left tower in front of the stage is dangerously close to the creek from storm erosion. I don't know if City Hall and the Parks Department believe they have time to wait, analyze and study what needs to be done, but they don't. They need to act quickly or there won't be anything left that's financially feasible to save.                       Above a comment submitted to a previous blog post 
Apparently, back in 2015, I was patting myself on the back prematurely. Although I've fallen from grace with the Morning Call, this blog will continue pointing out how the city is neglecting the iconic WPA structures, which made our park system famous. History and beauty seem to mean less and less to this city every year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS SELECTIVELY PUBLISHED. SIGNED COMMENTS GIVEN MORE LEEWAY.