Apr 8, 2022

Naysaying In Allentown

An apologist, who is in a profession to profit from the current development, wrote these kind words about me recently; Why would they spend 20 million in a new apartment building if the Strata 1 was not filled? Business people make business decisions. Strata 1 is full, don't be fooled by the incessant haters and naysayers... Of course the answer is simple. Because the taxpayers are paying the construction costs and debt service for these privately owned buildings, there are no normal business decisions being made. With nobody currently questioning the bills or figures submitted, or the taxes grabbed, the chosen developers would be stupid to stop building, while this environment remains unregulated.

But lets move away from the lucrative nuts and bolts of the NIZ, and examine me, as a naysayer. I first heard this term applied toward me and this blog by Pawlowski, about eight years ago. His majesty, at the time, wasn't used to any scrutiny. With an adoring press and public, I was writing heresy. At that time, even my fellow blogger from Nazareth condemned my criticism of Allentown's administration.

In recent weeks, Pawlowski's face was used on numerous mailers to personify corruption. I actually take no pleasure in his fall from grace, and wish him a soft landing in his current predicament. This blog's raison d'exister is to cast light on those decisions which unnecessarily depreciate our life. If normal business decisions were being made, or our park treasures were being properly maintained, and citizens questioning local officials were shown appropriate respect, I could write more posts on history, and less about politics.

above reprinted from November 10, 2015

ADDENDUM APRIL 8, 2022: In the above post, written in 2015, I'm referring to 2007 when Pawlowski was publicly calling me a naysayer...In subsequent years he would call me worse. Fellow blogger Bernie O'Hare quickly came on board recognizing that Pawlowski was ethically challenged. While the Morning Call supported Pawlowski until his indictment, they never learned to appreciate either O'Hare's or my contribution to the local dialogue. Pawlowski did not have a soft landing. I continue scrutinizing, and in this community consider the label naysayer a badge of honor.

2 comments:

  1. Scrutiny and other opinions are always good. the more opinions voiced the better the chance of making good decisions. Democracy will fail if other opinions and scrutiny is not heard. Sadly today we see much support for cancelling, censoring and silencing any opposition to the favored opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. MM this is one of the biggest farces I have ever seen. Now we have the governor taking Corona stimulus Left overs to the real writer inc. over in bedlum for the next farce to be perpiteated against the populus of the whole of PA.

    ReplyDelete

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS SELECTIVELY PUBLISHED. SIGNED COMMENTS GIVEN MORE LEEWAY.