Jan 14, 2021

Morning Call Damage Control


Readers of today's local paper learn with how much historical devotion the Morning Call passed on its legacy to the local historical society.
“It is sad to think about all the history and all of the work that went into compiling that history,” Morning Call Editor-in-Chief Mike Miorelli said. “But we feel very fortunate that the Heritage Museum and the National Museum of Industrial History will give our precious history a good home.”
Readers of this blog and it's sister publication, Allentown Chronicles, know another side of the story. A large portion of the archives were discarded to the landfill. After it was revealed that I obtained a few of the negatives, Morning Call editor Mike Miorelli had a meltdown. The employee who salvaged the material was placed on leave, and his job threatened, unless all material in my possession was returned. I cooperated fully for the sake of the young man's job. I can only assume that the material ended up where Miorelli originally intended, back in the landfill. In a terse email exchange two weeks ago, Miorelli accused me of engaging in half-truths. That term pretty much describes the story in today's paper. 

Addendum: My issues with the paper's story on the archives does not reflect on the reporter, who is excellent. I'm sure her hands were tied in regard to not reporting on the large amount of discarded material.

In the picture above I'm receiving an award from The Morning Call for this blog. Now, under the current leadership, they won't even print a letter to the editor from me.

8 comments:

  1. Is this yet another example of the intentional destruction of real history, so that it can be rewritten. I have predicted the demise of newspapers due to the internet, but maybe there will be a resurgence now that the internet is no longer a free and open platform for debate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's sad that that The morning calls response to finding the truth that a newspaper would purposely HIDE THE TRUTH!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike, I received the Community Spirit Award from the Morning Call. Then I almost immediately became a number one villan when I spoke out before council on Afflerbach's plan to dismantle the popular and effective community police program. I was quickly labeled as a " vociferous chronic partisan complainer"even though my statement was approved by the board of West Park. Funny how Roy changed the city. He brought in the partisanship and taught locals how to impugn and destroy those who dare speak up rather than address honestly their concerns.Yes, Mike as we both know, the locals and the Morning Call were quick studies weren't they.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are still some archives in the public library that haven't been edited to much if we the public could look at originals.

    ReplyDelete
  5. With the morning call's editorial policy so far off the left side, I agree it may be times mirror ultimate goal of destroying history so it can be rewritten. I wholeheartedly concur with Ray Nemeth's comment above.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If the Morning Call and its parent company, Tribune, is left or right, is not my concern. My concern lies with the MC protecting local sacred cows, and impugning those of us who speak out about it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've know the Morning Call And Evening Chronicle my entire life from my parents to my own family, now I have no use for the news if you can call it that ,that we receive. What a shame! We'll never have a great Newspaper again 😭

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mike, you might not care about right or left but clearly the Call did.

    ReplyDelete

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS SELECTIVELY PUBLISHED. SIGNED COMMENTS GIVEN MORE LEEWAY.