Apr 21, 2020

Morning Call's Tired Opinion Page


This past weekend Bill White wrote that readers should send him their tired and poorly written sentences for a bad writing contest. Bill claimed that he was only recycling an old column idea because the coronavirus forced him to stay in.  Actually, before the virus, Bill must have stayed in a lot anyway. Year after year, chocolate cake recipe after chocolate cake contest, he recycled old columns. Every year we read about his hall of shame and his Christmas light tour. Bill himself has been recycled by the Morning Call. Let go last year in another cutback at the Call, he's now back, two columns a month. But, as repetitive as he is, he is more original than the paper's normal go to people on the opinion page. 

The Call's tired roster includes Tony Iannelli on local business... Alan Jennings on fair housing... A Muhlenberg professor on politics.  It was because of this staleness that Richard Anderson's letter on St. Lukes, even though it condemned the paper, should have been published.

The Morning Call should welcome some beef. It's not like they're prospering with the old formula. They no longer own their own building. They no longer print the paper in Allentown.  Although they have a monopoly on a huge market,  they demonstrate no imagination.  They will take offense at this post,  rather than consider their own shortcomings.

7 comments:

  1. That paper/news source could disappear and few would notice or care.It is that bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not read the paper, but like all elitists, they disregard the thoughts and feelings of the masses under the excuse that they write poorly, use bad grammar and punctuation. Possibly use poor spelling. What someone says is unimportant if it does not conform to perfect writing ability. Especially if it challenges the editors assumptions or ideology.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I look forward to the obituaries in the replica edition on my iPad. I look for my name every day and have yet to have found me. Odds improve daily, especially with COVID-19. And to quote Anderson, this opinion about the MC is not #F*** N***”.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This past weekend, in addition to White, they had a fluff piece by Bob Orenstein. Bob was the opinion page editor for decades, and developed the "go to" list I mention in the post. For more controversial opinions, such as mine, Orenstein would claim that they were too long for a letter and too short for Another View.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When White left, I had hopes that Muschick would offer a different view. But he's fallen right in line with echoing the Call's statist views.

    His latest article on the Governor's mask mandate lacks any attempt at critical thinking or investigation. He's just willing to parrot whatever he's told, unless it conflicts with his already-established viewpoint.

    I've given up the hope that the Call's reporters, columnists and management (yes, it's all of them) would change their ways and become more fair in their coverage and practices. I now just hope that they are weakened to the point of becoming an easier acquisition for someone else with a more balanced opinion.

    Long ago I stopped subscribing to the Call, and can only hope that I am at least partially responsible for their continuing decline.

    I also refuse to do business with anyone advertising with the Call. I urge others to do the same, and let those businesses know why you won't use them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Unknown, I'm still encouraged about Muschick, and so far I'm glad that he was given the slot. Although I'm otherwise critical of the opinion page, and other paper policies, I'm grateful that the Call is still in business. Subscription wise I pay full freight, and I'm glad to support their sponsors. However, unlike the paper, opposing points of view are welcome here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have come to the conclusion that whether it is cable news or the newspaper, the writers and employees will follow the official directives from management above or look for another job. I just wonder who is really coordinating all these directives.

    ReplyDelete

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS SELECTIVELY PUBLISHED. SIGNED COMMENTS GIVEN MORE LEEWAY.