Jun 27, 2019

Allentown's Disability


I saw a reference in facebook to Allentown having the highest rent to income ratio in the United States. After a few searches, I discovered that the reference went back to a report from January of 2017, and was based on the number of evictions.

The source of the article was a report on Redfin. I believe that the conclusions are misleading, and I base this report on my own experience as a rental agent. The issue in center city Allentown isn't  the rents being so high, but rather the income being so low. Thousands of people in center city are living on disability payments. Recently, when I questioned the legitimacy of these disability claims, I was told that unless I'm a physician, I'm not qualified to make such a statement. So, let me instead say that over the years I've seen many disabled people carrying refrigerators into apartments. Instead, let me say that recently I saw hundreds of people on 7th Street, in the middle of day, jeering the police. So, although I'm not a physician, somehow so many strong looking people can somehow afford to mill, and even run, around center city during the daytime.

As for the evictions, although they claim that don't have the money to pay their current landlord, they always have it to pay the next one, until they decide to repeat the cycle.

Years ago I saw that Allentown was becoming a magnet for bad apples. Now we're officially hard core, reduced to funding programs called Promise Them What They Want To Hear.

5 comments:

  1. Mike,

    You also likely know the risks of renting to tenant's in Allentown is higher than in other areas as here the tenant pool is largely low income or income assistance. Having lived here for twenty five years, knowing many in the landlord business, I have learned non payment leading to evictions is high, renters skipping out on rents is high, damage to units is common, and nuisance behavior that requires attention not unusual. All this behavior forces landlords to raise rents to cover associated costs and provide a reasonable return. Owning rental properties is a business venture, in Allentown, business is risky, therefore the higher rents. One more thing, under Pawlowski, in lieu of tax increases, fees of every kind were raised. The rental inspection fee went from $15 per unit to what...$75 now. Council just passed legislation to require child escape bars on every unit with a child ten or under. All these costs get passed on to the tenant. I could go on but the point is, the tenants themselves and city government are the two leading factors in rents increasing in the city.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You stated, “You are not qualified to make such a statement” referencing “the legitimacy of these disability claims”, and further stated “I’ve seen many disable people carrying refrigerators into apartments”. I am sure you went up to those carrying the refrigerator and asked them “Are you disabled?” Mike, as you well know, “you can’t judge a book by its cover”. Not all disabilities are visual. Maybe it was a friend or relative who was helping move, you don’t know that. So once again, instead of labeling all tenants with disability claims, do your homework and know the facts, just the facts, sir!

    I agree with Scott on his reasons why rent is so high. One example I know of that there is a vacant unit (location is irrelevant), the current neighbor has told me what he is paying, the unit will be available in Aug as he/she is moving out. The landlord’s web page has the unit listed for $100 more than this current neighbor is paying. The reasons may or may not be some of the reasons Scott has mentioned, but just maybe to stay in competition with surrounding neighborhood’s rents, which is due to the reasons he mentioned. So once again, instead of labeling all tenants, do your homework and know the facts, just the facts, sir!

    ReplyDelete
  3. unknown, I think as a rental agent in center city allentown, who interviewed hundreds of tenants claiming disability, and then saw them in "action", I did do my homework.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Obama greatly expanded SSDI. It has become an industry for Lawyers. Now things such as drug addiction and alcoholism are classified as disabilities.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well I need the secret that they used to get disability. I've been fighting FIVE years. I suffer with two different types of Arthritis, that makes mobility very hard and painful. I have Chron's disease and have been under supervision for severe depression. Sad when I'm told I meet the criteria but yet, get turned down. Seems easy for those that know how to screw the system. I have legitimate, documented proof.

    ReplyDelete

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS SELECTIVELY PUBLISHED. SIGNED COMMENTS GIVEN MORE LEEWAY.