Aug 29, 2018

Bill White's Apology Column


Bill White's recent column was about the apologies he would like to have seen from Ed Pawlowski and the Pennsylvania Catholic Dioceses.  This column is about the apology I would like to read from Bill White.

Dear readers,  As you know I have the bully pulpit here in the valley,  but squander it mostly on serial repeats, such as what I eat every year at Musikfest.  I have been very fortunate that the paper has been essentially for sale for over a decade,  and the new editor didn't know how tired these columns really are,  and the interim editors are just glad that they still have a job.  But I must mostly apologize for my silence on local issues.

I know that the articles promoting Reilly's Strata apartments are more hype than reality.  My office is across the street from a building supposedly full, but I seldom see anybody who remotely resembles a millennial on the street.  I seldom see a light on, come dusk. I know that the paper has an agenda to protect the local sacred cows and I play along.  When I praised Wally Ely recently,  I knew that we never printed his heartfelt op-ed opposing the weed walls in the parks. I know that we don't report that South Whitehall isn't honoring the voter's referendum in regard to Wehr's Dam. More recently, I will remain silent about what we did to Marty Nothstein.   I'd like to say that I'll do better, but I won't.  There's a new editor coming on board,  and he will think that my columns this winter on Christmas lights are a breath of fresh cold winter air.  

Bill White

Shown above is another year of chocolate cake tasting for Bill at the fair.  However, in fairness to him, he is my low-hanging fruit when it comes to criticizing the Morning Call.  Apparently, Terry Rang,  interim editor once again,  was involved in the decision to go ahead with the Marty Nothstein story/smear.  I would think that The Morning Call is in a position where they could really be an independent voice for truth in the valley.  Back in the day when Allentown was ruled by the Park&Shop Oligarchy, of which the publisher was part, the paper was dependent on those local merchants for  advertising.  They are now just a vehicle to distribute flyers for national chains. I suppose old editorial doctrines die hard. I'm sure that when the new editors arrive from out of town, they are wined and dined by the valley's sacred cows.

1 comment:

  1. Bill, was part of the local media's total blindness to the obvious corrupt of Pawlowski's city hall. It's been awhile but I seem to remember they/MC killed a Scott Kraus story that explored it. No one at that paper is in a position to demand an apology from anyone. They instead need to make one on the front page above the fold.

    ReplyDelete

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS SELECTIVELY PUBLISHED. SIGNED COMMENTS GIVEN MORE LEEWAY.