Aug 12, 2024

Works Progress Administration Meeting

Tonight is the meeting on Allentown's iconic WPA structures. When I first began this project three years ago, the steps leading from Union Street to Spring Garden were overgrown with weeds and saplings. My persistent, annoying blogging on the subject caught the attention of then opinion page editor Glenn Kranzley and columnist Paul Carpenter. The publicity they generated resulted in the city cleaning up those steps. My next target was what I called the boat landing. As a boy I had often played at that site. Long buried, it was now the step to nowhere.
Readers of this blog, on two separate weekends, succeeded in digging out the steps and the portion of the landing at the bottom on the steps. Blogger Chris Casey provided the lion's share of manpower in this accomplishment. The remainder of the landing was lost to large trees which grew over a period of forty years. There has been some speculation that my independent demeanor and blunt writing has alienated people, both at City Hall and The Morning Call. Although probably true, the merits of the projects stand on their own.
I managed to get the miniature bridge and spring pond cleared by appealing directly to Mike Gilbert, who is in charge of the watershed for the Park Department. I have been in communication with Park Director Greg Weitzel about tonight's meeting. Yesterday, I received a phone call from a women in her late 80's, whose father worked on the Lawrence Street steps. I believe a worthwhile future project would be to chronicle about those who did the labor; However, it's first necessary to insure that the fruits of that labor are preserved. Please join me this evening, so that I may prevail upon City Hall that a large number of our citizens hold these structures invaluable.

The meeting is at 7:00PM this evening in the lower level of the Allentown Library

above reprinted from September of 2011 

ADDENDUM AUGUST 12, 2024:Among others attracted to that meeting at the Library was Karen El-Chaar, then from Friends Of The Allentown Parks. She in turn secured a grant from the Trexler Trust to restore the steps at Fountain Park. I spent many years advocating for the WPA structures.  While the new Parknership would benefit from my experience and knowledge, my inquiries remain unanswered.

2 comments:

  1. Mike, we have been freeyockering (sp) away our entire city since the late 60s in my opinion and they won't be satisfied till it's completely changed and unrecognizable to anyone but themselves. Let's hope they're happy with their dismal results. ASD has already succumbed to their penny-ante B/S, why not finish the rest of the city off???
    I'm glad I'm on the way out, rather than on my way in!!! I pity the next generations, as they erase and rewrite our past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. do you believe that the past is a static place that can be maintained? how have you sought to educate newcomers on the “rules of engagement” for Allentown?

      Delete

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS SELECTIVELY PUBLISHED. SIGNED COMMENTS GIVEN MORE LEEWAY.