Apr 29, 2024

A Disdainful Blogger

The email was accidentally sent to me from a cellphone during a three way communication. I was pitching a Morning Call reporter to publicize an issue, and he was requesting permission from an editor. The email said yes Molovinsky is disdainful, but it would make an interesting article. I earned the disdainful tag by taking the reporters to task for their shortcomings reporting the news of our community, and failing to credit myself and other bloggers when appropriate. My ability to alienate has hurt the success of my efforts on community issues. More diplomatic advocates receive the publicity which moves their agenda forward. As a younger man I was apparently too dumb to learn, now, I'm too old. With that introduction, let me take a swipe at the On The Cheap columnist, Spencer Soper. Spence, the big news isn't that House of Chen ended their economy buffet, but that J.B. Reilly is ending their business. Those buildings are being bought with the same threatening tactics used by the City against the merchants across the street, now home to the hole. This dour, misguided, disdainful blogger will appear this evening on Business Matters on WFMZ69 at 8:00p.m. During the program I insult the host, Tony Iannelli; It figures.

above reprinted from May of 2012

ADDENDUM APRIL 29, 2024:A dozen years later and I remain disdainful, at the nicest. Time hasn't been that kind to the Morning Call either. Most the staff from 2012 is long gone. Tony Iannelli is holding his own as head honcho of the Chamber. Although J.B. Reilly is prospering beyond comprehension, the same can't be said for Allentown. This past Friday evening at 5:15, Hamilton Street was virtually deserted.  Although cars were entering the city for a hockey game, how much benefit the restaurants get from the after game crowd is questionable.

3 comments:

  1. Mike, I'll bet you've been called much worse things by much better people!!! HAHAHA!!!
    Yes, the fine House of Chen was ended in not such a fine way... BarbaDel could tell you all about it, but sadly she has also ended.
    I graduated with Tony Ianelli and I'm surprised he hasn't ended his career at his tender age... I guess cheerleading is still a profitable vocation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have met Tony several times and appeared on his show as well. My take, he is a sincere and nice guy. I warned him years ago Ed was a crook and destroying the city, he was truly mystified by my comment and explanation. In that regard he had plenty of company in the city. As far as still working, some of us old guys enjoy it.

      Delete
  2. BarbraDell- I haven’t thought of her in years. What a wonderful character. I know of folks who went to the Allentown Art Museum just to visit BarbraDell in the gift shop. The last time I saw her was during the Who Shot Rock & Roll photography exhibit. BarbraDell was wearing a Modonna inspired bustier over her street clothes as she managed the register. That was a time when Allentown had characters and Hamilton Street architecture had character.

    ReplyDelete

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS SELECTIVELY PUBLISHED. SIGNED COMMENTS GIVEN MORE LEEWAY.