Mar 26, 2024

New Park Ranger

When the doctor told me about my incredibly low vitamin D, he asked if my family was from Transylvania? When I replied that we were, he apologized for his faux pas and we determined that my condition was caused by blogging. I decided to get some sun by walking in our parks, combining my vitamin deficiency with my civil annoyance. Because I have never owned shorts or sneakers, the first week saw me in jeans, shirt and shoes. I went to a local discount store and purchased shorts and a tank top. Fashion now dictates that men's shorts go below the knees. Because I have short legs, the shorts went halfway to my ankles, looking like knickers from 1920. I took them to be shortened, but apparently mismarked them. Besides at the Pride Festival this past Sunday, no man wears shorts that short. I also made a mistake with the tank top. Apparently, I had inadvertently crossed over into the women's section at the discount store. When I washed the shirt, I saw the flowers on the label. Anyway, I am getting plenty of sun and investigating our parks. My first reports dealt with the No Maintenance Zone and included a letter from a dog owner, who can no longer enjoy the stream at Cedar Park. An apologist for City Hall suggested tick and insect repellant. Tony Martin replied: The no-mow zones does absolutely nothing beneficial to the creek in cedar creek park. My dog is small. Not a lab. He is only 10 inches tall and I prefer not to marinate his or my body with pesticides to repel ticks and other insects. Neither should any children be subjected to that. I, nor my best friend, have access to this once great park's best asset,the creek. You cannot even tell that a creek exists unless you cross the bridge. Please speak out about this issue,and let Mayor Pawlowski know that you the people, that pay his salary, will not stand for this nonsense to continue any longer. Mow the weeds already and restore both the view and access to this once beautiful creek/park. - Tony Martin Although I certainly do agree with Tony, currently the citizens must fight for fresh drinking water. With the private for profit Trash To Energy Plant, we have already lost the right to fresh air. Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself in my new persona as Park Ranger. More reports surely to follow. 

above reprinted from August of 2012

ADDENDUM MARCH 26, 2024:It has been almost a dozen years since the above post was written, and very little has changed in Allentown. Although the mayor mentioned above is serving time, his embrace of poverty for political purpose is now firmly established in Allentown. We now have a DEI mayor accused of discrimination. Our economic development has been legislated to essentially benefit one man. I still walk the parks, but with a more masculine ensemble. Despite my continuing efforts, the weed walls blocking our creeks prevail. I continue to write and speak out against those policies which are an affront to me and the better Allentown I knew.

10 comments:

  1. I'm reminded how and Why! , I'm living in Florida. into days world of WEED wackers an automated lawn equipment sounds like common sense for the Allentown Residence "AGAIN" or STILL has left the room. As for the attire issue --No Comment! I'm biting my lip and being kind. Difficult for me. Fact is unless you live in a glass bubble insect exposure begins when you walk out the door. Science has proven those in sects don't read those restricted area a sign and have violation of the attempt to contain them with in--most insect are free range type like certain chickens. as for the attire sound like something that get's people arrested in --in Florida. My personal observation over the years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For forty years I walked in the beautiful parkway and it has indeed gone downhill. This park was planned with specific vistas that have been ruined by a lack of maintenance disguised as environmental concern. I find it interesting that the maintenance rules differ in the Rose Garden area vs the Parkway and Trexler Park. The creek at Cedar Beach is a fantastic mess that is neither functional nor attractive. How I wish there was some smart person running the parks. The Friends of the Park group seems to have gotten lost somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A fantastic mess?? My wife and I walked our dog down there a few Saturdays ago and marveled at the beauty of the place. Just wait until they cram a pending subdivision into SWT Parcel 5486 7405 1816 1 along Cedar Crest Boulevard overlooking Cedar Creek Park. Once they rip out all the trees and start grading for the building lots, that really will be a fantastic mess!

      Delete
    2. Although I'm an advocate for the mowed traditional parks, that portion of the park, between the end of the walk path and Cedar Crest Blvd., on the south side of the creek below the college, could remain un-mowed or buffer in my opinion. I very seldom see anybody there, except a very occasional "let my dog run free" person.

      Delete
  3. General Trexler would be rolling in his grave if he could the Lehigh Parkway now. I walk there often and it is depressing to think how beautiful it used to be also Bogert Bridge needs painting real bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i was going to mention Bogert's Bridge too. Wasn't grant dollars allocated to that project several years ago?

      Delete
  4. ALL services, each and every one of them, has gone into the circular file in the past 40 or 50 years in ANY government run job... incrementally at first, and now it just slaps us in the face, now that it's so blatantly obvious, even to a blind person. Now, that would be fine, IF the cost to the taxpayer went DOWN, but the pigs at the trough in government only know one word... MORE!!! Silly me always thought more money meant better performance, better products, better results.... blah, blah, blah...

    ReplyDelete
  5. On last week’s Council list of things, there was a bill for $1.3M in grant money for Bogert’s Bridge, a transfer of about $8-9K out of WPA funds into Franklin Park funds, and $100K transferred from Trexler Trust fund to WPA money for UT stage & pillar work. Don’t know how votes came out. Parks really need the upkeep...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1.3 million??? Are they going to gold plate it??? It survived 200 years or more with just paint and normal maintenance. What the heck happened??? Is this another planned money grab???

      Delete

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS SELECTIVELY PUBLISHED. SIGNED COMMENTS GIVEN MORE LEEWAY.