Aug 14, 2023

Cruising Down Hamilton

On Sunday I visited downtown Allentown's Cruiser Car Show.  Councilperson Cynthia Mota told me we have to give more attention to the good things like this show.  I certainly understand her point of view, especially preaching to a naysayer such as myself. However, I wish she was with me on the ride down Tilghman Street. Someone made a U-turn right on Tilghman, at 9th Street.  On 9th itself, I encountered no less than two double parkers in one block.

A merchant on Hamilton told me that the show harks back to the era when these cars were new, and kids would cruise the Hamilton/Linden Street circuit. Although for him it was hearsay, for me it was a real memory, I'm that old.

I agree with Cynthia and the merchant that the show is a good thing.  Allentown needs more of them.

Although our staff photographer chose to feature only one vehicle, the show stretched for blocks and contained hundreds of classic cars.

3 comments:

  1. Was it young folks or old fogies that owned the cars?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Focusing on the good things to the point of propaganda is what the media already does and has been doing for at least two decades. If false narratives could save a city Allentown would be an Arcadia. It isn't is it? So the sooner the phoney happy talk stops, the sooner the truth will become apparent. Next time an elected official from the city complains about the negativity,tell them truth is the best remedy for corrupt and incompetent leadership. Look them right in the eye when you say it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was there with my car. There was about 350 cars that spanned from 6th st. to 9th st. and on 7th & 8th sts. almost from Walnut to Linden sts. Everyone was very respectful. This is the Allentown I remember.

    ReplyDelete

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS SELECTIVELY PUBLISHED. SIGNED COMMENTS GIVEN MORE LEEWAY.