Jul 12, 2023

My Grandfather's Horse


My grandfather lived on the corner of Chew and Jordan Streets. He butchered in a barn behind the house. The house is still there, 301 Jordan, but the barn is gone. He would deliver the meat with a horse and wagon. On the weekends, when the family wanted to visit friends, the horse insisted on doing the meat market route first. Only after he stopped in front of the last market on the route, would he permit my grandfather to direct him.
I managed rental properties between 4th and 12th Streets. I developed a route between the buildings, utilizing many alleys because of the one way streets. While on my route, I got to know many people living in Allentown, and the circumstances of the different neighborhoods. I would often take pictures of people and things I considered photographic. Although I no longer have the managing job, like my grandfather's horse, I continue on the route. But things have changed. Doing street photography has gotten difficult, people are defensive and paranoid. The streets are meaner and the people are harder. Just making eye contact can be uncomfortable.
Don't blame me, as a rental agent I always put the neighbor's comfort ahead of finding tenants. Don't blame me, as a citizen I ran for office and bluntly said what needed to be said.

reprinted from May of 2008
 
ADDENDUM JULY 12, 2023: Don't blame me, as a blogger I continue to say what needs to be said.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, MM, for keeping the B/S in the public eye and your brutally honest assessments. We're always glad you beat the drum for this less than one horse town!!!
    Still annoyed you weren't elected, but you shot yourself in the foot during the 69 candidate's interview... you should have looked 'em in the eye and gave 'em hell instead of being mild mannered while panning the floor.

    ReplyDelete

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS SELECTIVELY PUBLISHED. SIGNED COMMENTS GIVEN MORE LEEWAY.