May 5, 2023

Growth Industry In Allentown


Yesterday I went to the Social Security Office, across from the prison, to discuss my retirement options. I was given number 199. In addition to retirement, Social Security also dispenses money for disability. I would say from the gray hair, there were about three of us contemplating retirement, all the others were for disability. A few middle age men were carrying their fake canes. The canes aren't fake, it's the disabilities. I saw one such gentleman walk in from the parking lot, clearly the cane bore no weight, and was merely a prop. Most of the people waiting were quite young, in their twenties. Disability has been expanded to include mental conditions such as depression, anxiety, addictive personality and anger management. I will say many of them did look angry to me. It was hard finding a parking space. Business also looked good at the prison. If Johnny Manana's had gotten these crowds....

reprinted from Nov. 18, 2008 

ADDENDUM MAY 5, 2023:This was a very politically incorrect post when I wrote it fifteen years ago, and it remains so today. At the time, Johnny Manana's was a short lived restaurant in the new PPL Plaza building. Now, in our NIZ era, that building couldn't compete with the tax subsidized new buildings and went to foreclosure. Although there is a new owner from a tax sale, I don't think it's doing very well. We have become a poor town with a distressed school system, and quality of life issues.  I remain politically incorrect and continue blogging.

10 comments:

  1. The thing I remember most about Johnny Manana's were all the allegations that Fed Ed was getting comped free meals there. You sure could make a great Top 10 list of hyped up businesses that disappeared from the NIZ (Moravian Bookstore, Sage etc.).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought the issue with Johnny Manana’s was that they didn’t comp FedEd, and he blew a fit about it.

    Apparently they weren’t playing ball like everyone else was, and coincidentally didn’t last that long.

    But my recollection might be wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "We have become a poor town with a distressed school system, and quality of life issues."
    Please remain politically incorrect... maybe someone will pay attention other than the readers here!!!
    Only some of us have become poor(er)... the schools stink to high heaven... and "quality" of life... well, they'll just pass another law that will not be enforced... they passed a law: "don't drive your loud exhaust cars or we'll impound them" (besides being an inspection infraction, they don't enforce it... my street sounds like the Dorney Park Saturday night stock car races of the 60's... ALL NIGHT LONG!!! (a wee hint: great place to arrest speeders and fund the city coffers in perpetuity...)
    "don't play your stereos loud or we'll impound your car"... yeah, right... and we all know how the double parking issue is working out!!! Yes, folks, those were laws that were passed.....
    It's a damn good thing we pass so many laws!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mike I know that you were a landlord/property management so I will take it easy. My question is to all the income properties attached to a LLC that fall under the non-profit status? Than there are even more heinous than absentee landlords. There tenants blatantly sell drugs in the open and the building is a little better than a crack den.

    How in the blue hell does this even happen?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Simple answer how it happens: you rent to decent folks and you have an apartment house... you rent to idiots and you have a slum!!! I speak from experience... the idiots applying outnumber decent folks 20 to 1!!! I even went so far as to visit potential tenants at their present address... if I liked what I saw, I said "you have the lease!"... if not... "sorry, just wanted to inform you personally the apartment has been rented so you may keep looking"...

      Delete
  5. I know JM’s was in trouble when they didn’t have tequila.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had the same experience at the SS Office a few years ago. My wife and I were the only 'seniors' out of about 40 people. The place looked more like an emergency room.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The few times I’ve been to the SS office I got out of there as soon as I could. Most depressing place in town. If you wasn’t a taste of the Soviet Union stop by some time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Been there, seen that. Yes the SS office is sick with BS disabilities. My favorite one I heard was the guy who had paid public housing and Disability because he couldn't handle authority. In other words he didn't like listening to a boss. Must be nice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. And the best part of going to the SS office is NOT having your issue(s) resolved... I made numerous trips to get my Father's payments stopped... the hits just kept on coming... nearly 13000 bucks... no wonder SS is going belly up!!! Each person said "I'll stop this!!!"... never did, till I contacted the bank... mission accomplished and refund check written!!! (Took almost a year...)

    ReplyDelete

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS SELECTIVELY PUBLISHED. SIGNED COMMENTS GIVEN MORE LEEWAY.