Apr 12, 2023

Allentown's Historic Syrian Community


When my grandfather first arrived in Allentown he lived in the Ward, on 2nd. Street. It was around 1895 and the neighborhood was full of immigrants. Some groups came from the same area in the old country, most noticeably the Syrians, from the village of Amar*. They were Antiochian Orthodox, a minority in a Muslim country. The congregation of St. George's Church on Catasauqua Ave., largely is descended from those immigrants. Well known names in Allentown, such as Atiyeh, Haddad, Hanna, Makoul, Koury and Joseph are among their members. They were among one of the first groups to organize, and those organizations still exist. The photo above was organized by the Syrian American Organization in 1944. Note that Jewish, on the left, is treated as a nationality.

click on photo to enlarge

UPDATE: The above post is reprinted from March of 2010. I have repeated the post several times since over the years, and have written other posts concerning Allentown's historic Syrian Community as well. Although I didn't grow up in the Ward, I grew up with their children, who had by then also lived in other sections of town. Throughout the 1950's and 60's, the organized Syrian community wielded considerable strength in local Democratic politics. On Sunday Allentown recognizes the Syrian community with a flag raising at city hall.

4 comments:

  1. I’m not Syrian, but as a child grew up with Syrian children. Later, a Syrian gave me my first job and was a caring friend of my mother. I have observed and appreciated the Syrian Community over my long life.

    I still enjoy shopping at a Syrian supermarket. Many of their regional foods are on our menu at home. Always impressed with how hardworking and sincere persons of Syrian heritage are.

    To me, the Syrian people have been a positive influence as American citizens. They have contributed much to the Lehigh Valley and make this a better place to live. I salute our Syrian neighbors with envy. I am grateful to be living together with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My great grandfather, Salim Shada, came here around 1900 and lived on 2nd. He had a fruit store.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First Presbyterian Church of Allentown has a weekly Arabic language service for the congregation’s Syrian and Lebanese community. www.FPCAllentown.org

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both my sets of grandparents came from Syria. I never lived in the Ward.

    ReplyDelete

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS SELECTIVELY PUBLISHED. SIGNED COMMENTS GIVEN MORE LEEWAY.