Apr 28, 2023

A Friend In Code

There is a business on Allentown's western edge that has a mess piled up to its building for over a decade. This pile of debris is on the front side of the building, visible from two streets. 

Several years ago I defended a homeowner on the east side, who was being harassed by code. Her offense was complaining about another messy business, which was also friendly with a code inspector. The Pawlowski administration weaponized code over his several terms. As a former property manager, I was well familiar with complaints about unequal treatment from the code department. 

That department has gone through some major changes in personnel. With the new administration, I was hopeful that there would be more equitable treatment of property owners. Apparently that new day in code is slow to arrive.

5 comments:

  1. I’m not sure if this is a code issue. I think you’d be better served by calling it into the Recycling and Solid Waste Department.

    While they are not particularly proactive (meaning getting out of the office to find such locations on their own), they have been very responsive and helpful when I’ve contacted them about similar situations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had a similar experience with this office (Sweep). They come out right away if you complain. Unfortunately it usually takes 3-4 calls to various departments at city hall until you figure out it is a Sweep issue. God forbid they figure out how to transfer a call.

      Delete
  2. anon@10:42: the subject of this post isn't this particular location, but the inequitable enforcement by Code/Sweep

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beware readers, if you ever manage to become a pip on their radar, you will remain a pip and be hassled, while your immediate next door neighbor(s) will be bypassed for the same infraction.... must be nice to be invisible and/or have friends in high places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too true. I live on a high traveled main road. I was threatened with a $300/day fine for parking on my lawn, so I put in an expensive parking pad. Neighbor on my right was threatened with a fine for tall weeds. But my neighbor on my left has been parking on his front lawn for years now, right on the same main road; not to mention that this same lawn has over foot high grass (only one on the block not cut). Obviously one of Allentown's royalty.

      Delete

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS SELECTIVELY PUBLISHED. SIGNED COMMENTS GIVEN MORE LEEWAY.