Mar 6, 2023

The Little Bridge Of Lehigh Parkway


A few years ago, new and young visitors to the park would have no idea that a magnificent miniature bridge crossed a spring run to the Little Lehigh. Certainly, such a stone construction wasn't necessary to cross the 24 inch waterway. It was built in a era of masonry art, fueled by the Great Depression, and funded by Roosevelt's WPA. Over the last decade, budgetary cutbacks and environmentalists demanding riparian zones, justified allowing it to be consumed by brush and saplings. In 2010, I persuaded Mike Gilbert, park department manager, to partially clear around the bridge. Although a tree now blocks it's southern approach, the bridge has been given a reprieve on its destruction.

above reprinted from 2012
photo/molovinsky

ADDENDUM MARCH 6, 2023:While it has been over a decade since I had the miniature bridge uncovered, I'm sorry to report that the WPA structures still remain a low priority with the city. While the wall into Lehigh Parkway has been restored out of necessity to retain entrance to the park, neglect for the other structures continues.  

Although I knocked on the door of every park director since the Daddona administration,  I will not be introducing myself to the new director. After all these years, my advocacy will now be limited to this blog.

2 comments:

  1. HMMMM.... somewhere along the line I seem to remember good ol' General Harry Trexler (you know, the man that paid for all the parks initially... correct me if I'm in error...) endowed the city with enough money to MAINTAIN the parks in perpetuity... gee, I think that means FOREVER...!!! Of course, Allentown has done it's utmost best to squander and pilfer the money and, along the way, the PARKS, too!!! Again, correct me if I'm wrong.... another great Allentown sheit show... Will we ever learn... ANYTHING?????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awh Mike it's a shame.As a kid my family would have picnics there.And went to the hatchery too.Itsjust a shame that nobody cares anymore

    ReplyDelete

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS SELECTIVELY PUBLISHED. SIGNED COMMENTS GIVEN MORE LEEWAY.