Sep 27, 2022

Damn That Molovinsky and His Dams

I failed to save the small WPA dam shown above in Robin Hood. The Robin Hood Bridge and dam were the last WPA projects built in Allentown.  I did, however, learn a lesson, which I used to save Wehr's Dam. 

Last year, the Morning Call did a whitewash story on Wehr's Dam, and even managed to omit my name, though I urged them for six years to write the story.  I never imagined that they would take each culprit's version at face value. 

We almost lost Wehr's Dam in 2014. Abigail Pattishall, from Wildlands Conservancy, told the South Whitehall Commissioners that "Keeping this dam is not an option, It's a hunk of concrete."  The lesson I learned from Robin Hood is that once the Wildlands Conservancy is given a green light, they demolish the dams immediately, so that there's no change of mind or going back. On June 18th, 2014, I prevailed upon South Whitehall to take the issue under advisement. Luckily, publicity from that meeting got the attention of other people, including descendants of the former mill owner Wehr, who had built the dam.

Despite the conspiracy against the dam, it still stands. The culprits even organized a referendum, never expecting it to win, because they tied it to a tax increase. I'm happy to report that every one of them involved with this conspiracy is no longer elected or employed in South Whitehall government. Because of family issues, the Wehrs dropped out of the prolonged battle to save the dam, but I continued at meetings, and here on this blog. 

The Robin Hood Dam did not have such a happy ending. The small ornamental dam was built over boulders which are still in place,  still providing some drama and sound. However, the city allowed the Wildlands Conservancy to deposit the demolished dam debris around the stone bridge piers, spoiling their aesthetics.  

Although I remain a persona non grata with the Morning Call and Allentown government, I will continue to campaign for the removal of the former dam debris around the stone bridge piers.

Photo of Robin Hood Bridge and dam before being despoiled. 

Photo courtesy of the Earl Price Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS SELECTIVELY PUBLISHED. SIGNED COMMENTS GIVEN MORE LEEWAY.