Jan 5, 2021

Stairway To Shame


In the mid 1930's, Allentown, and especially its park system, was endowed with magnificent stone edifices, courtesy of the WPA; Works Progress Administration.  This was a new deal program designed to provide employment during the aftermath of the depression.  Stone masons from all over the country converged on this city and built structures which are irreplaceable.  The walls and  step structures in Lehigh Parkway, as the Union Terrace amphitheater, are legacies which must be protected.  Pictured above is the grand stairway from Lawrence Street (Martin Luther King Drive) up to Union Street, built in 1936.  The steps are in a state of disrepair.  They lead to the great Union Street Retaining Wall, fifty feet high and two blocks long, which was completed in 1937.  I call upon the Trexler Trust and Allentonians of memory,  to insist these steps are re-pointed and preserved.  The current Administration knows nothing of our past, and really has no commitment to our future.  Save the things in Allentown that matter. 

above reprinted from September 18, 2008 

UPDATE JANUARY 5, 2021:Although it would take me many years, and along the way I inadvertently offended many people,  eventually I got the steps at Fountain Park and other structures repointed.  While my efforts were never acknowledged, and my calls are still never returned,  I will through this blog continue to advocate for the traditional park system.

2 comments:

  1. Here, here, Mike! John told me about this regarding Lehigh Parkway, and I've always loved seeing and had a high regard for their efforts and historical significance! The stonework there is just beautiful and really makes for a unique, stunning entrance to the park. I didn't connect this with Union Terrace, but it makes perfect sense given the beauty there and similarity to Lehigh Parkway. It's one of the reasons Union Terrace has also been one of my favorite parks in Allentown. In fact, I don't know how many are aware of it these days but, historically, Allentown was known as or had the unique designation - "The City of Parks"! One HAS to admit Allentown DOES have a LOT of lovely parks, and which is a GOOD thing and NOT to be taken for granted! Interesting you post this picture, Mike, because everytime I drive along Martin Luther King Blvd, I see those steps and think, "The stonework on those steps should really be preserved as it's beautiful, unique, and a practical convenience for those that live at the upper level and wanting to get down to enjoy the park system!" I agree with you both for their beauty, historical importance, and practicality. It's THESE kinds of attributes that make a city unique and draw visitors. Else, the more such things are destroyed, what's left is one city of franchises after another, so WHY BOTHER traveling to see the sights?? They're all the same! There IS something to be said for the value of aesthetics, besides practicality and healthy living. I mean, "Just think how y'all could benefit from those Step Exercises"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Around 1950, when I was about 3 years old, my grandfather would swing me on the swings in fountain park, Then carry me up those beautiful Stairs All the way home. He lived on South 12th street. Mike, thank you so much for your efforts in preserving these beautiful stairs.

    ReplyDelete

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS SELECTIVELY PUBLISHED. SIGNED COMMENTS GIVEN MORE LEEWAY.