Mar 6, 2020

Report From A Retiring Watchdog


No, I'm not running for mayor, but I used to consider myself a watchdog of mayors. Ten years ago, this blog would report every day on something about the city, or its government. I would attend city meetings on a regular basis. I would report on city policy, and even try to influence it, through this blog and opinion pieces in the newspaper. For a while my musings were heard regularly on a local radio station.

While some less involved may have been surprised when the long term mayor was incarcerated, I suspected that there were more transactions for which he may have been indicted. When he was elected for the fourth term, while under indictment, I knew that my former Allentown no longer existed.

I still get engerized for such icons as our park system, but I no longer attend council meetings on a regular basis. Occasionally, I still enter the political fray, but only when the proposal is so contrary to the city's well being.

Long term readers of this page may have noticed more republishing of my older historical posts. A year ago I started a facebook group, Allentown Chronicles, with an emphasis on local history. Many members are former Allentonians, who also prefer yesteryear's Allentown.

3 comments:

  1. Mike,

    Allentown is a city that wears down anyone and everyone who sees the problems and tries to address them and /or get others to care.There is a very long list of good people who simply, in time walked away because they saw the futility and were tired of the abuse they found themselves on the receiving end of. That exodus has created a vacuum that has been filled by far lesser lights and those of very suspect integrity. This explains the clown shows that are now governing the city and its school district. I find myself caring less about city hall and my days left in the city are limited to years now not decades. It is what it is now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having long ago left Allentown, even a short trip seven years ago quickly terminated the fond memories of the life I knew in the valley. I have traveled, worked, and lived in many American cities, but Allentown has become one of the worst that I have ever seen. It is sad, and was totally unnecessary to decline to it's present condition. But as they say you get what you vote in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I left 20 years ago when the City was on a steady decline, heartbreaking when I return to visit family. Thankfully they can never take away all my wonderful years of growing up on the Southside of town. All the treasured memories are just that treasured memories. I can remember Leroy Bogert, back in the days when he saw the demise of our wonderful city. Tears for what has become of this town. Thankful not to be living there any longer.

    ReplyDelete

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS SELECTIVELY PUBLISHED. SIGNED COMMENTS GIVEN MORE LEEWAY.