Mar 19, 2020

Morning Call Doubles Subscription Rate


Digital subscriptions to the Morning Call are increasing from $15.96 to $27.72 per month. This is at the same time when some other home internet services are being lowered, to help the self isolated cope during  the Coronavirus crisis. This is at the same time that the Morning Call has cut back on staff and news coverage.

I've been a subscriber for 50 years. I only stopped the hard copy version a few years ago, because their delivery became both unreliable and too late in the morning for my preferences.

Readers of this blog know that I have issues with the paper, mostly with their reluctance to confront local sacred cows about hypocrisy. Although I have documented ex parte communications between the state and the Wildlands Conservancy about Wehr's Dam, the Morning Call refuses to allow me Another View piece on the topic. However, last month they did promise to investigate the situation themselves.

I will continue my subscription regardless of the price, but I'm not sure how many other readers will do likewise.

4 comments:

  1. I refuse to read the Morning call even when offered for free. Their political bias is unacceptable. I was once an an advertiser in the morning call everyday for 20 years. Our relationship ended when they attempted to force me into buying display advertising and ending what I had been doing. This unfair business practice along with their political bias was just too much. There end is near, maybe sad, but mostly because of their own mismanagement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dropped my subscription a few months ago. When I had it, I was constantly being forced to sign on, and then it would not allow me in. So I was paying for a service I was not getting.

    Even now that the paywall has been lowered, there are so many pop-ups that it is nearly impossible to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They, from Tim Kennedy(who was an very decent human being) to present day, failed to understand that the static print ad was more valuable and acceptable within print copy than today's intrusive banners, pop ups and flash ads online. Clicking out is easy, print ads were successfully integrated and non-intrusive when the newshole was at least 35%.

    They let the net steal their content for years, and then failed miserably at trying to put that genie back in the bottle. "No worries, all that exposure will DRIVE readers to us." WRONG.

    They are terminal, their slow suicide brought on by a total lack of self awareness and business acumen, combined with an overwhelming arrogance.

    ReplyDelete

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS SELECTIVELY PUBLISHED. SIGNED COMMENTS GIVEN MORE LEEWAY.