Oct 4, 2019

Camden On The Lehigh


Last evening when I entered City Council Chambers, as is my custom, I scanned the document table for the agenda and specific ordinances under consideration. There on the table, printed, fastened and disguised as an official document complete with charts, was an attack piece against one of the nay-sayers or reactionaries who challenge the administration. The victim was Robert Romancheck, who served on the zoning board for 12 years, and is a neighborhood leader in the Raub Middle School area. The fabrication stated Romancheck mismanaged Perkasie, resulting in a tax increase. Coincidentally, todays' Morning Call has an article on Perkasie which features that borough's financial stability. The victim or misinformation to me is irrelevant, the fact that it was on the document table was outrageous. Between the committee meeting and the regular Council Meeting, I approached our elected, appointed and hired officials with this document and my discontent about it. Their reaction, to the man, ranged from amusement to indifference. I contribute this cavalier attitude to the one party sweep this past election. I believe Mayor Pawlowski, although a misguided micro-manager, has integrity and is free from corruption; however, an arrogance has taken over city hall, and we know where that will lead us in the coming years.

reprinted from November of 2007

UPDATE OCTOBER 4, 2019: Although I would learn of Pawlowski's  shortcomings before most, and long before he became the subject of an investigation,  I was giving him too much credit back in 2007.  However,  I reprint this piece to reference the arrogance.  This is a trait that won't be addressed by any prosecutor, but affects every citizen of the city.  While I find O'Connell himself humble enough, the pre FBI swagger remains with some of his subordinates.

shown above older postcard of Lehigh River, with former Hamilton Street Bridge and A&B Meats

2 comments:

  1. I was called every name in the book for mocking the non stop total press adoration of Pawlwoski when he became mayor. I wrote a piece called Allentwn's Music Man. I also drew flack for questioning whether the wives city mayors's had ever been called "first lady" as Lisa had. With Ce-Ce signs ubiquitous in the city it is clear to me the voters have learned nothing and are as gullible as ever. There was a time when I thought the city could be saved. Sadly, it is up to us, and in us, I have lost all hope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course not long after Bob left Allentown for greener pastures, he too saw the futility of promoting good government here in the Queen City.

    ReplyDelete

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS SELECTIVELY PUBLISHED. SIGNED COMMENTS GIVEN MORE LEEWAY.