Oct 21, 2019

A Meat Market In Easton


When I was in high school, on weekends and summers I would work at my father's meat market on 4th Street in Easton. Taking those curves on Rt. 22 at high speed was just an extra high school thrill, while getting and going from the job. The Market has long been replaced by an insurance agency. At that time my uncle owned the Mohican Market across the street.  Now, 55 years later,  I still occasionally take the trip, but much, much, much slower on the curves.

While I'm in the neighborhood, it's nice to park along the convergence of the Lehigh and Delaware.  The dam there gives me great pleasure, especially since Easton told the Wildlands Conservancy to take a hike when they proposed tearing it down.  Allentown would have said sure, like they did in Lehigh Parkway.

Yesterday Larry Holmes Drive was closed to host a food truck festival. I felt bad for the vendors...  between the rain and the cold,  the visitors were sparse.  When I told an Easton policeman that I came for the river view, he encouraged me to patronize the food trucks while I was there.  I thought that it was nice that he was concerned for the vendors.  I almost asked him if he remembered the Melbern Meat Market,  but then realized that he wouldn't yet be born for another 25 years.

photocredit:The Morning Call

3 comments:

  1. Mike,

    Did you notice Easton didn't knock down most of their historic buildings in the center square area? What's up with that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yesterday the restaurants in Easton's center square were crowded, despite the rain. I suppose that Easton is stuck with ideas like quaintness, while Allentown realizes that it's better if all the new buildings are owned by one man, and look the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We were there, would have been fun to run into you. It had been years since our last visit and were there by invitation of friends. We were very impressed by what Easton has accomplished with their downtown, found it charming, relaxing, and filled with interesting shops and restaurants. None of this can be accomplished in Allentown thanks to a brain dead city hall.

    ReplyDelete

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS SELECTIVELY PUBLISHED. SIGNED COMMENTS GIVEN MORE LEEWAY.