Feb 6, 2019

Allentown, Not Much For History

Once you go a mile west beyond Bethlehem, there's not much interest in history.  There's also not much interest in art or architecture.  Boast as you will about Allentown's new NIZ buildings, but there won't be any awards given there for architecture.  The new waterfront NIZ district will remove the historic LVRR rail tracks.  The local historical society concentrates on shows about Abraham Lincoln, with no interest in local topics. The Allentown park department actually encourages the disregard to its original plans and structures.*  We're being led by people who seemed more concerned with their own future, be it in real estate or politics.

For years my efforts have concentrated on trying to save those historical structures unique to our area.  Although I may occasionally still succumb to that compulsion in the future,  hopefully, most of my protest will now be limited to posts on this blog.  I pleaded to no avail with too many commissions with predetermined agendas.  Let the less disillusioned plead to the deaf ears behind those dais.

Shown above is the former LVRR railroad station on Hamilton Street, which was demolished in the early 1960's.  The existing train station was the New Jersey Central.  Allentown never met a unique older building that it couldn't wait to tear down.

* This post is reprinted from July of 2015. Allentown now has a new mayor and a new park director. I am encouraged that the new administration will be more sensitive to our history.

4 comments:

  1. Sorry I never got to experience this train station. It looks like it was a grand old station with lots of granduer.
    Thanks for reminding me how much I miss being awed and invigorated by the beauty of grand buildings. Maybe Sunday I will enjoy brunch at the Hotel Bethlehem and then take a Sunday afternoon drive to the 30th Street Train Station in Philly.
    Thanks for the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I took this train when I was in sixth grade to New York City. So, that probably was 62 years ago. I distinctly remembered every detail as I traveled alone. The porter was so kind and so attentive. My brother had taken the train and he was successful. My father was working in the garment district and we went to visit him. Fast forward to the Gingerbread House a fun and charming restaurant. I love the outside and inside detail. I hate to see these wonderful structures stand so lonely in the midst of the City I love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We Saved the King George Inn, which technically was through the South Whitehall Township, but more directly the Lehigh County Commissioners. Yes, endless speeches, meetings, but just as importantly, over 2,000 signatures collected through MoveOn.com, and a Save the King George Inn facebook page. Modern social media played a very big part in our efforts. -Dean K. Ziegler

    ReplyDelete
  4. dean, although south whitehall created an historic overlay district for that effort, they never added another structure to it. furthermore, they refused to add Wehr's Dam, which took a referendum to halt demolition. the township still is conspiring with the Wildlands Conservancy and the state to demolish it. as for the king george, the building is in a state of complete neglect. truth be told, the township also has no interest in history.

    ReplyDelete

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS SELECTIVELY PUBLISHED. SIGNED COMMENTS GIVEN MORE LEEWAY.