Sep 7, 2018

Allentown's Fairview Cemetery


About ten years ago, I began searching for the grave of a young Jewish woman, who died around 1900. Among several Jewish cemeteries no longer in use, I searched Mt. Sinai, a small section of the sprawling Fairview Cemetery on Lehigh Street, just west of the 8th Street Bridge. The cemetery is the history of Allentown past, including the graves of Harry Trexler, John Leh, and Jack Mack. As one proceeded deeper into the cemetery, away from sight on Lehigh Street, conditions worsened. As is the case with many old cemeteries, fees paid for perpetual care, 100 years ago, were long gone. Complicating the situation, the current private operator wasn't particularly assessable. In addition to extended family members upset about conditions, the situation was compounded by his refusal, with few exceptions, to allow private upkeep. My early posts on the situation drew response and phone calls from people with no interest in local political blogs; They were just exasperated relatives, with a family member buried long ago at Fairview. After beginning a series of posts, and letters to the editor, I prevailed upon The Morning Call to write a story one year later. The Call's story appeared on August 11, 2008. Within two weeks, the cemetery operator agreed to a public meeting I had organized at a local church. Arrangements were made between the operator and several parties. As with several of Allentown's older cemeteries, the issue of maintenance will be ongoing. This would be a worthwhile project for City Hall.

I have reprinted this post because of some inquiries about the conditions at Fairview. 
  
ADDENDUM: The current operator of Fairview, in addition to operating an on-site crematorium, is actively having new burials in the cemetery. It appears as if some of these new burials might be on old large family plots, which haven't been used or even visited in decades. In other cases they appear to be along the internal roadways, which were previously not considered proper burial places. 

molovinsky on allentown is normally published Monday thru Friday. Comments are accepted using your name or by establishing a pseudonym. Pseudonym identities remain unknown to both myself and other readers. Your readership is appreciated.

photocredit: Lightnin Bug

7 comments:

  1. later today I'll reprint a second post containing a note from a woman with a family member buried at Fairview. The situation remains a cause of distress for many families.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike, I am still maintaining a small plot down near the bottom. Even Good Shepherd is not taking care of the Raker Plot as they once did. It is truly a sad state of affairs, considering three Revolutionary war veterans are buried there, two who were officers under Washington.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michael,
    As you know, We, at the Lehigh Valley Military Veterans History Project, have been changing American Flags, on Military Veteran Grave sites there for over a decade now. We do what we can to maintain basic cleanup protocol when we go there.

    It is such a sad state of affairs for so beautiful a cemetery, that contains huge rich historical importance for Allentown. Unfortunately I haven't been there in a while because of health issues.

    Paul J. Fiske (The Old Allentown Curmudgeon)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris@11:01, I get contacted at least several times a year by people complaining, who found this blog by googling fairview. however, they don't even want to add their complaint publicly to the posts by commenting here. the conditions persist at fairview because people don't want to speak up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have many family members that were buried there. The most recent was my grandfather in 2009. I had to actually pay $2,000.00 for perpetual care. I was told I'd have paperwork mailed to me showing that money was put into a CD, so that it would gain interest, which would pay to the upkeep. I never received the paperwork. Trying to reach someone by phone there is impossible. They do not return your calls. It's a shame.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am flattered you used my 2008 photo from waymarking.com.

    In case your readers are interested in the original source, here is the link:

    https://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM6ACG_Obelisk_Forest_in_Fairview_Cemetery_Allentown_PA

    Blog on - I do enjoy reading your well researched writings,

    Lightnin Bug

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lightnin Bug, I was surprised by your comment. I usually use my own photographs, or provide attribution. Thank you

    ReplyDelete

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS SELECTIVELY PUBLISHED. SIGNED COMMENTS GIVEN MORE LEEWAY.