May 30, 2010

Two Ton Galento


In an era of tough men, Tony "Two Ton" Galento was a standout. Although he would never win a Mr. America contest, his left hook could knock down any man, including the legendary Joe Louis. Tony owned a bar in Orange, New Jersey, didn't train, drank beer and ate large meals before he fought. Between 1928 and 1944 he fought 110 times, knocking out 56 of his opponents.

He met the Baer brothers in back to back fights later in his career, losing both bouts, but not before knocking 6'7'' Buddy Baer down. The famous fight with Louis occurred at Yankee Stadium in June of 1939, after Galente beat Lou Nova. Tony was king of the world in the third round as Louis lay on the canvas, but he got up at the eight count, and knocked Galante out in the next round. Louis would later say that Tony Galante was one of the toughest men he ever fought.

3 comments:

  1. Many boxing historians rate Joe Louis as the greatest boxer of all-time, Ali included.

    King of the world, if only for one round.

    Still a longer reign than many fine boxers can claim, I should think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This Galante fellow's training regimen reminds some with genuine intellect of legendary University of Texas and Detroit Lions Hall of Fame quarterback BOBBY LAYNE.

    Layne was not noted for a rigid, off-the-field physical conditioning program.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When my father was dyiIng, my uncle and I had a bottle of Merlot we brought for his last salute'. When I chose to salute' to "two-ton" Tony, while my uncle was lost on that one. I heard the story so many times ; I hoped he could hear me and I am sure he did. Whenever he happened to meet Tony at a tavern in Allegany, NY, he always was very happy to tell me he met him and had q dr8nk with him. I don't k now what year, may e mid - 1950's . Fritz would be thrilled to see this page. I'm glad I found it. Many Galantes' and Russos' in WNY.

    ReplyDelete

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS SELECTIVELY PUBLISHED. SIGNED COMMENTS GIVEN MORE LEEWAY.