Mar 6, 2012

A Force in Allentown


I received a nice compliment the other day, somebody told me that I was a force in Allentown. I'll take the compliment as remuneration for the time and effort put into this blog. I see blogging as a component of community activism. Andrew Kleiner has put his blog to use to promote ecology in the park system. Bernie O'Hare functions as a one man newspaper, and is a force in the entire valley. My posts, in addition to Allentown politics, also cover local history. These subjects are not unrelated, as local political ambitions and projects are often at the expense of our history and culture. Perhaps, even my occasional boxing posts relate to those who wouldn't mind punching me in the nose. I regret my lack of diplomacy, but blame genetics. Today's photograph predates the current concrete Hamilton Street bridge, with it's two west side entrance ramps. The former old metal bridge, had Union and Hamilton Streets merged into one ramp, passing the massive Arbogast & Bastian Meat Packing Plant. Next week, another historic bridge is in jeopardy. Although structurally sound, Lehigh County has appropriated funds to replace the stone arch bridge by Union Terrace. More on that later....

3 comments:

  1. Yea, your wall endevour would probobly have more steam if it were not for your lack of diplomacy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a sad fact that today's media, and local newspapers in our area in particular, drop the ball when it comes to providing the feet to the fire scrutiny so urgently needed in our democracy. The role of an active, independent press in a democracy must never be discounted.

    I for one am saddened by this decline, but the blow is softened knowing that bloggers can and do provide the checks, balances and scrutiny needed. I think we can all see what happens in a community (Allentown) where the press sits quietly by and the electorate is lazy or disinterested.... democracy is not always pretty.


    Keep plugging, it is apprecaiated.


    VOR

    ReplyDelete
  3. vor, i believe that the morning call was weak in the beginning about the arena, and has stayed unsympathetic to the plight of the former merchants. that said, their coverage on the arena shenanigans proper, has stepped up to the plate.

    ReplyDelete

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS SELECTIVELY PUBLISHED. SIGNED COMMENTS GIVEN MORE LEEWAY.