May 3, 2009

Rape Of Park


The feature shown in the photo, from the Mack Truck Magazine of 1943, shows a beautiful stone masonry structure in Lehigh Parkway that was allowed to go to ruin. We kids of the Parkway called this the "boat landing". It is located near the end of the park near Regency Apartments. I use the present tense because remnants of this edifice still exist, buried under dirt and debris. Other attractions lost in that section of the park include the Spring Pond near the Robin Hood parking lot, and the bridge to the "Island", plus the mosaic inlaid benches which were on the island. ( Island halfway between parking lot and boat landing). I have no doubt that neither the Mayor or the Park Director knows that these centrepieces ever existed. While these are unreplaceable architectural treasures well worth restoring, we squander our heritage to buy a oversized playground out of a catalog.

6 comments:

  1. I have wondered for quite some time what the steps were at that end of the Parkway. Thanks for the info. I had no idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are treasures, and never should have been allowed to root, indeed. But Allentown once again is becoming a very young city. I think the recreation opportunities provided by our parks should reflect that. A playground is certainly not out of order.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would hope that someone has the good sense to see that Stimulus Money is somehow used to restore these parks. but it won't happen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome post. When I was in college, I took my life in my hands and tried walking on those steps. I got bruised up pretty good. You can't believe how many of these "ghost" structures exist to this day all over The Lehigh Valley. A little bike ride off the beaten paths reveal "ghost" structures as if they were ancient relics of past civilizations.

    If I ever hit the lottery, I would love to restore them. But I have to start playing first. Actually, I have to have $$$ to play. I think?

    Peace, ~~Alex

    ReplyDelete
  5. stimulus money can only be used on shovel ready projects. If there were any shovel ready projects going on in the parks, we would have heard about them by now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the first I've ever seen this photo. Had no idea this existed. Please keep us informed.

    ReplyDelete

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS SELECTIVELY PUBLISHED. SIGNED COMMENTS GIVEN MORE LEEWAY.