Jul 16, 2008

Mt. Sinai Cemetery


Unknown to most people, contained within the sprawling Fairview Cemetery, is a small section with the oldest Jewish Burials in Lehigh Valley, called Mount Sinai. Fairview, along Lehigh St, is Allentown's most famous and now neglected cemetery. Among the notables buried there, is no less than Harry Trexler, whose largeness keeps bailing Allentown out, even 70 years after his death. Using diplomacy, not my forte, I have been trying to urge more upkeep for Mt. Sinai. Today, a letter to the editor laments the condition of the whole cemetery; perhaps this approach will be more successful. I urge everybody to take a stroll(OR DRIVE) through history, the views of Allentown are among some of the best you can find.

UPDATE: I have reason to believe the Morning Call may shed some light on this problem. Perhaps, considering the enormity of the cemetery, certain area's may have to be" adopted" by interested parties for care. It seems that as old cemeteries fill up, and the descendants move away or die off, the perpetual care becomes problematic. This is certainly an historic, significant site for Allentown, hopefully the Community can respond.

THIS IS A REPEAT OF POSTING DONE LAST AUGUST. NO LONG TERM IMPROVEMENTS HAVE BEEN MADE TO THE CEMETERY. THE MORNING CALL HAS YET TO REPORT ON THIS OUTRAGE. THE CEMETERY OPERATOR HAS REFUSED ASSISTANCE FROM SEVERAL SOURCES. PLEASE CONSIDER ASKING YOUR CLERGY TO ADVOCATE ON THIS COMMUNITY PROBLEM

7 comments:

  1. I wonder if Allentown PA will ever be successful in pulling its head out of its ass ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mt Sinai Cemetery Map

    I know this cemetery, my uncle is buried here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. MM, haven't seen Boyko yet, but a friend of mine did / talked to him, and no luck. He's a frigging roadblock on this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mr. Molovinsky I feel your pain. I grew up a bock away from the Mack plant on So 10th St.In fact our back yard was the cemetery. It's a real shame what has happened to this city. My father was burried in Fairveiw Cemetery and I must agree, it's a disgrace. My dad passed in November of 2006 and still has no grass planted on his site. Other family members and myself wrote to the Morning Call. It made the paper but nothing was done. They came out and took pictures and saw what a mess it was and is and it never made the paper. My mom recently tried to have a bigger headstone put up in the cemetary and Mr. Boyco wouldn't let them put it up. My mom is 82 and everytime we go over to visit my dad she bursts out in tears. It's just not right. My wife cotacted the mayor and he said there was nothing he could do. See " Mr." Boyco is the president of the cemetery Assoc. I think just like the U.S.A. there should be a new president elected.

    Take care,
    Ed Manwiller

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dalondo C. Moultrie, dmoultrie@mcall.com was the reporter that was supposed to do the article and never did.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mr. Molovinsky, has anyone contacted the civil war groups in the area? I have an uncle who involved, they may help. I probubly have some ancestors burried there also. This is a disgrace no matter your religious affiliation. This is the first I have found your site, but I will make it a favorite for sure. I have very fond merrories of growing up in Allentown and choose moving out before my son hit the wonderful school system 5 years ago! When i drive by our family home in center city, I could just cry. Something must be done about this!

    ReplyDelete

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS SELECTIVELY PUBLISHED. SIGNED COMMENTS GIVEN MORE LEEWAY.